Department of Business and Management
The Department of Business and Management will help you become a well-informed business decision maker, who is able to draw on the latest research to gain insight into complex business problems in a range of international contexts.
The department brings together corporate strategy, global business, international trade and foreign direct investment with subjects that focus on leadership, culture, motivation, strategic human resource management and the management of the globalisation process.
Within our programmes students have the opportunity to specialise in the following areas:
- International Business
- Business Analysis
- Enterprise and Entrepreneurship
- Ethics & Sustainability in Business
- Human Resource Management
- Management and Leadership
- Operations and Logistics
- Business Finance
Research in the department is focused around two clusters: International Strategy, International Business, Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Operations and Critical Management Studies. A strong overarching theme in this cluster is bridging theory and practice, with research aiming to provide new academic insights and to be relevant to management practitioners and other stakeholders. Three streams of the research have been developed comprising 'Strategy and Organisational Practices', 'Organisational Sense-making' and 'Work and Employment in Society'.
Members of the department routinely publish their research on subjects including coaching and mentoring, human resource management, international trade and investment, and business history in international journals, present at international conferences, collaborate with UK and international partners and undertake consultancy and commercial training.
During your studies you will be taught by experienced academic staff and have the opportunity to interact with senior managers from high profile companies including, for example, Siemens, Land Securities, London Underground, Ernst & Young and IBM, who will help you apply your learning in workplace situations. You will also be able to see how businesses operate by going on site visits to places such as BMW, The Old Vic, the Royal Shakespeare Company, Silverstone and Arsenal FC.
Our postgraduate students had the opportunity to travel to Boston, USA, recently, on a study tour led by Dr Gabor Lukacs. They met leaders of global firms, toured company facilities, heard presentations by academic experts and explored the city as a centre of American culture, politics and history.
The department has developed strong links with a wide range of industries and international partner institutions. Such links enable us, within our courses, to embed employability for example our final year students design and run assessment centres for first and second year students and our Consultancy students take part in an IBM assessment centre role play. We adopt collaborative approaches to self-development through work placements in organisations, memorable employment related events throughout the course and practitioner expertise used in teaching and mentoring.
Our varied international connections for example in the USA, Australia and throughout Europe provide exciting opportunities for you to actively engage with issues and debates relating to global citizenship and to study abroad for a semester if you wish.
- BA (Hons) Business and Management
- BA (Hons) International Business Management
- BA (Hons) Business, Enterprise and Entrepreneurship
- BA (Hons) Human Resource Management
- BSc (Hons) Business and Automotive Management
- BSc/BA (Hons) Business Management - Combined Honours
- MSc Business Management (January 2017 entry)
- MSc Business Management (September 2016 entry)
- MSc Human Resource Management
- MSc International Management
- MSc International Management and International Relations
- MSc International Trade and Logistics
- The Oxford Brookes Global MBA
- MSc Business Management (Corporate Social Responsibility)
- MSc Business Management (Economics)
- MSc Business Management (Human Resource Management)
- MSc Business Management (Marketing)
- MSc Business Management (Entrepreneurship)